Tuesday, 8 September 2009

meet one of the new girls...

well, yesterday i hinted at our new arrivals and here's one of them! we now have 4 hens, woody, buzz, hamm & lightning (i had no hand in the naming of these chickens, can you tell?) i have no idea which one this is a photo of. to be honest i'm rather scared of them. i mean, look at that expression, she looks like she's going to peck out my eyes *shudder*! i have said many times that i'm a rubbish farmer's wife and this is just another damning reason. i'm much happier in the studio......which is where i had a slightly frustrating day making this little bag. it has an embellished felt front, with screen printed lining in teal weave, which i must say looks lovely! i made lots of bags a few years ago, you can see them here, but i couldn't remember how i did them. it led to lots of unpicking and swearing but i got there in the end, and now i keep looking at it and getting a nice warm feeling of accomplishment and happiness!

7 comments:

style='clear: both;'
laurafallulah said...

I too am a bit scared of chickens, you are right they have a evil look in their eyes. But I love your bag and it was well worth the frustration, looks fab.

julie said...

I was a bit wary of our chooks when we first got them but now I feel like I've worked my way to the top of the pecking order - once they work out where the food comes from they're putty in your hands!

julie said...

PS: the bag is wonderful - well worth all the swearing!

Alison - Eco Eco said...

Lovely work, as always.

Looking forward to hearing more about your chickens. Some friends just got four and we spent a happy half hour feeding them with dandelions. It's just a bit alarming when they peck at the leaves - they move those beaks so damned fast. Hope to get some of our own sometime.

Michelle | Cicada Studio said...

Oh, she's lovely! (I cannot help but think of Chicken Run). The bag is lovely too. Keep it away from the girls.

Once said...

I told my 11-year-old daughter about your evil-looking hen on the way to her school. She told me after school that she kept thinking how a chicken can look evil all day. After she read your blog, she said she likes your blog a lot because you wrote like "a vigorous teenager".

helen said...

Ah, what a sweet hen! We have four hens too; when we first got them I was a bit scared of them too, especially when one of them jumped on my shoulder (obviously had ambitions to be a parrot). But now I dote on them, and I can assure you that sitting watching hens footle around while you drink a cup of tea is one of the most calming and relaxing experiences you can have. So good luck!

And your bag is lovely too. You are clever.