Tuesday 28 July 2009

when designs go bad...


hmmm...remember my excitement about my new design? i got an amazing response from it, but when i printed it out it just didn't work. some areas printed well, some areas didn't print at all and i was just was so unhappy and disapppointed. too many darks areas meant i lost alot of detail and i had also repeated it badly such was my hurry to get it made into a screen. so. back to the drawing board...and this is work in progress...no more heavy black areas - less is more - i'd forgotten that! i did manage to make some magnets out of the best bits though, and they'll be for sale later in the shop.


ohhh, i should've mentioned this at the time, but i forgot - i have two new stockists of my work. first up is north rock gallery, in the shetland isles, owned by the wonderful suzanne shearer of phatsheep textiles. then, just today, my work has gone on sale at modern printed matter in warren, rhode island, owned by the amazing anna cote. she let me know that she's written a rather nice little blog post about me today. lovely! two very different locations, both with terrific taste ;)

8 comments:

style='clear: both;'
Jesse said...

You have my complete and undivided sympathy about the disappointing print! But at least you know what to do to fix it - and the magnets are very cute.

Karen Lewis Textiles said...

Back to the drawing board then. I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run. The magnets look very cute. And big congrats on both your new stockists...both very exciting.x

Flora said...

shame it didn't work out, but I love the new stripped-down version too!

those magnets? yum.

Deirdre said...

I feel your pain - I had a failed screen today and it is soooo frustrating. Your pattern will look amazing...as do your magnets. Lovely colour!

annamaria potamiti said...

I can relate to the pain- I always throw out tons of drawings and failed paintings- Story of an artist's life- but still knowing that doesn't really help does it...? But the magnets are really cute and I have all faith in your great talents to get it totally awesome!
Annamaria

Liberty said...

Gaaah! I thought i'd leave you a 'hi there' since I spent my lunch break today reading your entire blog. (you could read this as 'stalking you'... Not in a creepy way, mind.) Your designs are awesome! I want to be you when I grow up!!

Trish Goodfield said...

I often end up with ugly pieces of dyed fabric, it is amazing how good they look used in a different way. I like the magnets.

Odds and Blobs said...

I absolutely LOVE your work! keep up the great work!